25/7/2021 – In a battle of wits between super GM (Lagrave) versus the rising star – 15 year old genius from India (GM Praggnanandhaa), we may never know what to expect. But with the help of seconds/coaches/analyst, they may find ways to outwit opponent by way of opening surprise preparation. In this game, who do you think is much prepared? This is the 4th round game in the World Cup 2021.
Sicilian – Four Knights Variation: is a tricky black opening that leads to unconventional movement of pieces where it delays castling. Sometimes king remains at the center sensing where the king is safer to place.
Sicilian Defense: Four Knights Variation (B45) Chess Opening Classification
GM Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime vs. GM Praggnanandhaa R.
(Event: 2021 World Cup, Sochi, Russia – Round 4)
1: e4 c5
2: Nf3 e6
3: d4 cxd4
4: Nxd4 Nf6
5: Nc3 Nc6 (The Four Knights variation)
6. Nc6 bc6
7. e5 Nd5
8. Ne4 Qc7 (Black queen is checking on e5 pawn)
9. f4 Qb6 (This is why black’s opening idea is tricky due to white king is exposed)
10. c4 Bb4 ch (This forces the white king to move. Covering the check won’t work)
11. Ke2 f5 (White king looks vulnerable but I think only me thinking that because GM Vachier-Lagrave knows what he is doing.
12. exf6 Nxf6
13. Be3 Qd8 (nice move by white)
14. Nd6 ch Bd6
15. Qxd6 Bb7 (notice, both king in the middle, so where you going to place your king to safety?)
16. Kd1!! c5 (black has to find ways to attack the white king)
17: Qxc5 Be4 (white seems precisely calculated it, its no risk at all)
18: Be2 d6
19: Qd4 0-0 (black king is safe now)
20: Kc1 Qc7 (white king is finding the best square to hide)
21: b3 e5
22: fxe5 dxe5
23: Qc5 Qb7 (exchange of queens, no good for black)
24: Kb2 Nd5 (finally, white king is safe while black sacrifices the knight tactically)
25: cxd5 Rfc8 (black is creating a line of attack to the position)
26. (Analyze the position)