12/08/2021 – The 4th Leg of the GCT Saint Louis Rapid 2021 started on August 11 to 15th at the Saint Louis Chess Club. Our featured game today is the game between GM Mamedyarov, S. vs GM Le, Q.
Prepared lines is significant to outplay incoming opponents but sometimes can backfire depends who are you playing with.
Let’s find out why 2782 rated GM Mamedyarov used this 3. d4 line versus a very strong 2709 rated GM Le of Vietnam. Do you think its a bluff move or opening preparation at move 3?
The Vienna Opening : This opening setup by white wants to develop pieces quickly depending on player’s style. White’s possible 3rd move are the following: 3. f4; 3. Nf3; 3. Bc4 or 3. g3. The featured game move 3. d4 is shown in the above diagram.
The Vienna Opening: (C26) Chess Opening Classification
GM Mamedyarov, S. vs. GM Le, Q
(Event: 2021 GCT – Saint Loius Chess Club, USA)
1. e4 e5
2. Nc3 Nf6 (The Vienna Game)
3. d4 exd4 (White’s move 3. d4 is too ambitious)
4. Qxd4 Nc6 (White’s setup starts to backfire here)
5: Qd3 Bc5
6. Bf4 0-0 (Black’s king is safe now, ready to attack white)
7. f3 d5 (First strike!!)
8. 0-0-0 d4
9. Nb1 Be6 (Black’s pieces are well coordinated)
10. a3 Qe7 (Best square for the Queen)
11. Bg5 h6
12. Bh4 Ne5
13. Qd2 Ng6 (Great timing for white)
14. Bg3 Rfd8
15. Bd3 Bb6 (pawn roll is coming)
16. h4 c5
17. h5 c4 (Analyze this position)
Let’s check this middle game position:
18. hxg6 cxd3 (Strike 2)
19. Qd3 Rac8
20. e5 Bc4
21. Qd2 Bb3
22. exf6 Qe3 (Strike 3)
23. gxf7 Kxf7
24. 0-1 (White Resigned)